Note: (you will read the Scenario + the problem statement then answer the below questions based on uploaded chapter)
Case Study: Power and Influence in Overcoming Management Conflict
At the age of 25, Jack Miller has a promising career at Gale University. In three months, he has been promoted to Research Development Manager, tasked with creating and implementing a new marketing strategy, which will be used to support the university’s recruitment initiative. This is Jack’s first big assignment, which is to develop a targeted marketing campaign aimed toward adult learners. However, his project is at risk due to a twenty-five year veteran marketing specialist on his team, named Nancy Holister, who is reluctant to participate.
Jack must find a way to leverage power and influence in order to encourage and motivate Nancy to increase her performance and participation to ensure success of the project.
Inquiring how power and influence theories/tactics might address/resolve the problem identified within the case scenario):
- What are the sources of power for Jack? And for Nancy?
- What influence tactics can Jack utilize in order to get Nancy on board with the new marketing strategy?
- What influence tactics are available to Nancy?
- Which power bases should Jack draw on to help him influence Nancy?
- How does Jack use influence to get Nancy to be more concerned about the organizational success than her own needs or desires?
- Can any composites be identified for motivation that Jack may have